Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Canada

A few weeks ago I got the sad news that my Nani (Grandmother) in Canada had passed away. Mum was going to travel to Vancouver for the funeral and I decided to join her. This meant some hasty arrangements to get me from Samoa to Vancouver in time and some dramas with my passport and visa here in Samoa, but everything fell into place and I left Angela behind to look after the dogs while I set off for Auckland, then LA and onto Vancouver.

Although it was a sad occasion, it was also a rare gathering of the family, and a reminder for me of just how big the family is! I got to see all my uncles, aunts, cousins and of course Nana (my Grandfather) many of them I hadn't seen for almost 20 years. It was really good to see Nana, he is still so strong and alert and he kept us entertained with lots of stories from his days back in Fiji. I also enjoyed catching up with my cousins. Even though we don't get to see each other very often it is always great fun to hang out with them, as if we see each other all the time.

The funeral preparations, rituals etc were all new to me as this was the first time that I had ever been part of a Hindu funeral. Although it was a tough time I am glad that I was able to be there to share that time with Mum and the rest of the family and I was pleased that I was able to say a few words about how special Nani was to Anita and I.

The funeral also coincided with the Stanley Cup (ice hockey) finals and the local team, the Canacks, were in the finals for the first time for many years. The day I flew out was the first game of the best of 7 game final, so I was fitted out with Canacks cap and shirt before heading to the airport. Everyone at the airport was glued to the tv screens until the game finished, a last minute goal sealing a dramatic 1-0 win for the Canacks. Fortunately I was well away from the city a couple of weeks later when the Canacks lost the deciding 7th game and the city reacted by rioting!

No comments: