Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Library Update

Well it's taken 6 months but I can finally log into the library electronic databases - yay!! This is such a relief. At least now when Distance students come in needing information I may have half a chance of helping them. 1 step closer the the goal of electrifying this library by the end of 2009!! Of course the internet connection still works like a slow wet week but I am learning the art of patience. "As long as it works - eventually" - is now my motto!

Next exciting thing on the horizon is that I have received a 500GB database of Agricultural journal information from the USA. This is a subscription which is updated annually. We now have access to Agricultural journals dating back to 1993. This can be networked and made available within Alafua, Samoa but not to the other islands as yet. It will be great to have our own local database that is not relying on the internet connection for access. Very helpful for the staff and students when researching.

Have also been very busy here with writing Annual Reports and Action Plans for 2009. I am glad of the experience I got at UCOL with these and with aligning the library objectives with the overall objectives of USP. As I had a "list" of many things I wanted to tackle next year this task was reletively easy. It is also a chance to make the mother ship aware of things that need working on in Samoa and where we may need assistance with funding etc. Things not achieved can carry forward to 2010 etc. How organised!!

Today is the last day of the Exam period. Many students heading home last weekend and the next batch will depart this weekend which will make it very quiet around here. Just a few post graduate students left finishing off their research. We are therefore starting to tackle the major weeding project and getting rid of composting journals from the 1960's onwards!! That should be fun. We will have lots of free shelf space after this and I hope to create a journal display area and make our Reference Collection more prominent. We are awaiting a whole lot of nice new Reference books (encyclopedias, dictionaries etc) from a special fund held in Fiji. Yippee. Hard copy encyclopedias are still very helpful here as battling with the online versions is tiresome.

I am also keenly awaiting the arrival of Matua II 041 the ship that is bringing 40 boxes of Children's books and Adult fiction to Samoa from the lovely libraries that donated these in New Zealand. This should arrive Sunday and the books will be available for collection next week. I will then have the lovely task of opening up the boxes to see what is in there - just like Christmas! Dividing up the books to the needy schools is going to be difficult so I will have to enlist the help of the Ministry of Education and the Public Librarian (as long as the books don't all end up in her collection!!)

Last but not least we are also now at the end of the Schools Library Assistant course. I had a full day of revision with the students last week so that took some preparation. Not wanting to bore them half to death I tried very hard to souce some videos on Customer Service in Libraries and also on Covering and Mending books. Much better to show them something than to blah blah blah at them. After much perseverence with my internet connection and many failed attempts to download I finally managed to get 2 Goofus and Gallant in the Library videos off YouTube and burn them to DVD to show in the class room. I know this may be no mean feat to you but to me it was a minor miracle to achieve this!! The revision day went well and the students did not snore too loudly so I think it was successful. This Friday is graduation day. Adam is also invited along (which he thinks is appropriate as he assisted me in planning and testing my class sessions). I have been given fabric and have had my first Puletasi sewn so will be wearing that to graduation. Photos to follow shortly .........

No comments: