Monday, July 7, 2008

A Matai in my Library

The other day the library attendant asked me if she could have a day off for family business. Little did I know that she was actually attending the ceremony to be bestowed with the title of Mimisa Lina! The next day her picture was in the paper (see Flickr). As it turns out one of her family members is Eroni Clarke, ex All Black player, and he too was being made a Matai for her village so was over to attend the ceremony. Lina tells me that her Matai title means High Chief. Each village over here have the Matai’s who look after all the people in the village. Lina explained to me that now she is a Matai she will be responsible for collecting money for the village and dishing it out to those in need as well as for faalavalava or gifts for weddings, funerals and other family occasions. Her position is a non speaking one but she must attend meetings and listen. I think this is really awesome and I have told her I am proud to be working with a Matai in the library. Congratulations Lina.

No comments: