Monday, July 6, 2009

Another Fun Run

Last weekend was another 5km Fun Run along the Apia waterfront. This time I couldn't convince Angela that it was worth getting out of bed for, so I left her sleeping and headed off for the 6.30am start.

It was another good run, I came second again in the 'Masters' division. In this event if you are over 35 you a labelled a Master. The first time this happened it made me feel old, and a little offended, to be lumped in with the 'oldies', but I am getting used to it now. There is a cash prize for the first Master to finish, so all I have to do now is figure out how to beat the one other Master that keeps finishing in front of me (or arrange it so that he doesn't turn up!) and I will be in the money!

Why all this running some people are asking? Well, earlier this year the US Veterans of Samoa decided to organise a running event that they have called the Samoa Perimeter Relay. As the name suggests this is a relay run around the perimeter of Samoa. The course this year is actually going to go about halfway around the main island (Upolo) and the following year the route will do the other half. Anyway, this means that this year the run will be approximately 64 miles (103 km) to be completed by teams of up to 6 runners. The course is divided into 24 legs, with each runner to do 4 legs.

The New Zealand High Commission decided to enter and somehow I found myself on their team, so that is why I have started doing some running. At the end of August I somehow have to drag myself halfway around Samoa!

If anyone wants to find out a bit more about the event they have a website up now so check it out.

Lindsay - if you are reading this in Palmy have you got any tips for running a relay event like this? I know you guys do the Taupo Relay and any advice will be appreciated. By the way, the organisers are taking international teams so if Manawatu Striders want to enter a team I will look after you!! It would be a great way to escape the miserable NZ winter!

2 comments:

Austin and Shaun said...

Hey AJ - Sounds great. So much more fun running when there is a purpose rather than just on the treadmill. At least you don't have altitude to deal with, although the heat must present some challenges.

Have Fun

Adam and Angela said...

Treadmill?! No treadmill over here, just the road.

Yes, the heat is a challenge - so are the dogs, the state of the roads and the traffic. I try to run in areas with footpaths, but that isn't always possible. The local dogs can be a bit scary, but I haven't been bitten yet!