Sunday, June 21, 2009

On the road again

We are very pleased to finally have our car back on the road again. After all the hassles eventually the right windscreen arrived and was successfully installed.

I was surprised to get a call from the insurance company saying that the correct windscreen had arrived and that if I delivered the car before lunchtime they could have it installed by the end of the day. This seemed very speedy for Samoa! So I delivered the car and we checked again that they had the correct piece of glass then left them to it.

When I went back at the end of the day I was very happy to see our car ready and waiting with its brand new windscreen. I had a quick look to make sure everything was OK before heading home. Everything looked fine, then even managed to transfer the rear vision mirror over without breaking anything!

On the way home I had to use the windscreen wipers to clean the windscreen. I got a bit of a surprise to hear the sound of metal scraping on glass and when the wipers had finished their sweep they were pointing at strange angles across the windscreen! When I got home I was going to get on the phone and give the installer an earful, but realised that they were closed for the day. So I went out and had a closer look. After scratching my head for a while and trying to figure out what had happened I finally realised that the wipers were on the wrong way around (the drivers side wiper was on the passengers side and vice versa). I guess they must have taken them off when they were installing the windscreen and put them on the wrong way round. Fortunately it was and easy thing to fix and there was no damage done.

So, the trusty Subaru (or Knight Rider as it has been christened here by some of the students) is back in one piece again.

No comments: