Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gecko Observations

There are baby gecko’s living in our house! I have got over running a mile when I see one move and have gone so far as to research them (using all good librarian’s favourite tool – Google!) I think they are house geckos. One had a missing tail so must have got a big fright. Apparently the tail falls off if they get stressed and wiggles around on the floor to distract the predator while the gecko gets away. I read that they eat insects and fruit so tested the theory with …. you guessed it, banana!! It was better than watching TV. I spent a good hour keeping my eye on little gecko to see if it would come and tackle some banana. It approached from many angles, around the leg of the TV table, down the wall and along the floor. I think it might have tried a little nibble. Well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I have not yet been quick enough to catch one. As for the adult ones, they live outside and come out at dusk. They make a gook, gook, gook noise and boy can they motor!

No comments: