Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kitchen Experiments - Part 2

Still inspired from the weekends efforts I decided to add a bit of pacific flavour to last nights dinner.

Instead of our usual BBQ fish, I decided to cook our fish wrapped up in banana leaves with coconut cream, lemon and tomato - the tomatoes were homegrown too. I still had some coconut cream left from Sunday, but needed to get some banana leaves. No worries there - there are some young banana plants growing next door, within reach of the fence. So, armed with my machete I reached over the fence and harvested a couple of leaves. I only ended up with one scratch from the barbed wire!!

I used the banana leaves instead of tin foil to wrap up the fish, coconut, lemon and tomato parcels. All you need to do is peel the thick rib off the back of the leaf then heat it quickly over a fire (or the element on the stove) to soften the leaf and it is ready to use. This is a much more environmentally friendly version of tin foil and it gives a great flavour to the food.

No comments: