Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2nd Worst Hair Cut Experience EVA!

Hi all

After making an appointment with a recommended hair dresser here in Samoa I waited for 2 weeks for her to return from the States and was really looking forward to my trim before heading home to see you all at Christmas.

This was my experience however.....

I arrived at the salon. It is not a huge place. 3 cutters chairs and 2 basins plus they have managed to fit one of those foot baths in and have a new beautician (who was incidentally doing toe nails and sticking sparkly jewels on!!)

I took a pew. The place seemed over crowded but as is normal in Samoa the person with the appointment seems to come with a number of hangers on who watch and talk!!! I could see the hair dresser I made the appointment with was very busy putting someones hair up. Looked like some special occassion was happening that night. I figured she was running late and would be a while so engrossed myself in a magazine (wow a magazine. These are few and far between in Samoa and VERY expensive to buy). I was enjoying the gossip when I was interrupted by a Fijian Faafafine with short afro hair (there is a reason I'm telling you this) and blue eye shadow!! He/She asked me to come to the basin.

I trotted over and took a very uncomfortable seat and waited patiently. A few minutes later I was duely informed that there was no water!! Oh well no hair wash today then.

Next I was shown to a seat and the Faafafine sprayed my hair down with the squirty bottle. After a very rough comb of the hair I figured I was as ready as I was going to be for the hairdresser. She however looked very busy with her job at hand........

Low and behold the Faafafine whipped out his scissors and started to cut my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know what to do. Should I say something? Should I not? In my head I thought that maybe I should give the benefit of the doubt as maybe he was some fantastic cutter with awards or something???????????????

Unfortunately I was to be sorely disappointed! With some reference to my split ends (an expert in palagi hair obviously!) my appointment was over in a flash with a bare minimum cut off my hair and some funny angles to show for it. Much "product" later and I emerged from the salon with hair like concrete looking ridiculous. Mind you one of the other patrons thought it looked nice (or do they pay her to sit there and say that?!!)

Oh well now I've sorted it out myself (fixed up the funny angles) and given it a wash things look ......... well as they did before I went to the hairdresser actually. So I probably won't be going there again. Might try Double D's the Aggie's hair salon next time as I'm sure to receive some palagi treatment there and after all I suppose that is what I'm expecting!!

No comments: