Friday, October 2, 2009

In the Bubble....

I write to you from the bubble that is Apia. The bubble that has escaped all the devastation that surrounds us. It is like a roller coaster ride of emotions here. On one hand things are continuing in reletive normality, on the other there is the news paper, TV, emails, texts, internet and radio reports and peoples stories that bring the harsh reality back to us.

We are very very lucky to be on the side of the island that was not hit. Our house is close to the sea so it does not bear thinking about if the wave came from the opposite direction. I can tell you I will never be blase again about earthquakes and tsunami sirens. You will see my dust if there is even a hint of a problem. I will not wait for any warnings or stop to pick up my cup of tea. I will be out of here. All the places we love here in Samoa are wiped out. This is nothing compared to the people who have lost their homes and loved ones. It is a devastating and saddening time that breaks our hearts.

We are off to volunteer for the Red Cross over the weekend to see what we can do to help although I have just heard from a friend who is over there today who says they will not let her do anything. Times of disaster like this are no time to put people on pedastals or try and protect the palagis.

We are living in a bubble at the moment but hear daily stories of great tragedy. Fellow Librarians who I work with have lost family members. One reports they just found their 2 year old yesterday in the rubble. You cannot even imagine what people are going through. I am in pain and it must be 100 times worse for them.

Seeing the other side of the island will give us perspective on this disaster. We will report back again next week.

Just before I sign off I want to again thank you all for the messages, texts and calls. Your support and caring has meant so much to us and we are so grateful to firstly be alive and secondly have you all as our friends and family.

Faafetai lava

1 comment:

Austin and Shaun said...

Sending you and everyone there a big hug. Thinking of you and your fellow islanders.