Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentines Black Sox

Happy Valentines day all!

Unexpectedly pancakes were on the menu for breakfast on this day which was very nice. Mind you there wasn't much time before Touch Rugby trials to enjoy them so we postponed until luch (which also gave us a chance to raid the lemon tree at USP!)

Touch trials went well. I answered an ad in the paper and turned up to find a club supporting womens sports. There was an organiser, a coach and an assistant coach so things were looking up. This club also supports women's 7's, union and shortly league so we were divided up into the "rugby" girls and the "other" girls!! I was quite happy to be an "other" as I am certainly not interested in tackling or being tackled!!

Ended up playing a few games. It was overcast and even rained during the morning but this did not stop me from getting sun burned. Note to self: wear sun block and a hat in all weathers! They seemed to notice that I had played before and even though my skills need some serious work I am ever hopeful of getting into a reasonable team that will be fun.

After Touch I went to the car only to find the driver absent! After scratching my head for a few moments I figured he would probably be over at the Softball diamond watching some of the Pacific Cup Softball matches. Sure enough that is where I found him. Tanifa Samoa were playing Japan to decide who would play the NZ Black Sox in the final in the afternoon.

We headed home for the pancakes but decided to go back to the diamond to watch the final. Armed with NZ flag to pin over the balcony we arrived just in time for the national anthems and to see the Haka. The game was very exciting with some big hits, strike outs, home runs, fumbles and good catches. The Black Sox ended up beating Japan 6-4 and the game finished just in time for us to head home and get ready for our Valentines dinner out.

Roko's restaurant is lovely. This is the first time we had been there but it has outside balconies that jut out over the valley and look down on native flora. The tables were decorated with red and the Valentines menu was ready to go. After ordering a fresh strawberry margarita and daiquiri, for $10 each, we were served starters of tempura prawns, seafood brushetta, sashimi and sushi. Adam was in his element with all the sea food. Mains were 1/2 lobster each, calamari rings, prawns, masimasi and salmon served with salad and a baked potato. Very yummy. For me though dessert was the main affair and what I had been waiting for. Chocolate cheesecake with strawberries and icecream. Unfortunately a serious lack of strawberries, only 1 each, but as I got to eat both of them I was happy.

A thoroughly wonderful day.

No comments: