Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Work Update (Adam)

We have finally completed the design work for the two bridges and the contracts are being tendered at the moment. We have decided to start construction after the worst of the wet season is over – April/May – so I thought things would be quite for me until then, but I have picked up a couple of new jobs.

I have got involved with some water supply work, something that I am a lot more familiar with. The project I am working on provides technical assistance to some of the independent water supply schemes. These are schemes that are run by the villagers, whereas 85% of the water supplies in the country are operated by the Samoa Water Authority. We have to go out to the village and meet with the matais and operators, then we inspect the intakes and walk or drive over the supply route, inspecting the pipelines, storage tanks etc. We take plenty of photos and a handheld GPS with us so that we can map the scheme. Once we have collected all of the information, we then make an assessment of the scheme with recommended improvements.

My first field trip to the village of Saoluafata was last week. We were running a bit late (in true Samoan style), but still had to stop and meet the chiefs before we could start our inspection. This involved cups of tea (luke warm, milky and sweet!) and bread and butter sandwiches. Unfortunately all of the conversation was in Samoan, so I sat politely sipping my tea and eating my sandwich. Once we headed off to the intake I got to enjoy a pleasant walk through the bush up in the mountains to the two springs. The track got rather overgrown and it felt like we were deep in the jungle, but I was enjoying exploring the Samoan countryside.
















Once we found the intakes and pipelines I was introduced to the ‘Samoan Air Valve’. Whenever they are having problems with the water supply that they think might be caused by air trapped in the pipe someone takes a hacksaw and makes a small cut in the pipe to let the air out. These cuts of course never get repaired, so we found that their primary water supply line is full of holes. Then they wonder why they can’t get water at the village or why the water pressure is so low!

After completing our inspection our guide showed us to the end of the pipeline, which was right next to another meeting house in the village. We were invited in and shown to the dinning table where lunch had been put on for us. A feast of umu pork, taro, breadfruit, palusami, along with the good old pisupo (canned corned beef) and lamb soup. One of the perks of this type of job I was told. We have to visit another village next week, so I am hoping for more of the same!

In between the fun of the field trips I am helping write up the assessment and am also developing computer models for each scheme to help with planning future work and possible extensions. I am enjoying doing some water supply work, but am missing having people like Kate and Shane around to help me with some of the more mundane parts of the modeling work. (Thanks Kate for the help last week – my MapInfo skills are improving, slowly).

My other project is completely different – it involves working with some of the schools to improve their facilities. It looks like that one will start in January, so more about that later.

Angela Says: "No rest for the wicked and no more slacking “House Boy”. Go and actually do some work!!

No comments: