Monday, December 1, 2008

Schools Library Assistant Course - Graduation

On Friday night Adam and I both went to the Schools Library Assistant Course Graduation ceremony. It was held at the Millenia hotel in their fale which was nicely decorated with palm fronds and Teuila flowers. The students all turned up in their "uniforms" which one of the guys had hand printed. It seems to be the done thing here to have a "uniform" for different occasions which you then carry on and wear afterwards. They looked very nice. Family and friends of the students also came along so the fale was full.

As a staff member I also had a "uniform". My first Puletasi - or traditional Samoan outfit of long skirt and top. I chose not to have sleeves in my top as I find it too hot but traditionally most people do. I also ended up sewing the skirt myself as the one they made for me at the tailor was mid-calf length (must have thought I wanted a Palagi length skirt!) which I didn't feel right with. All the Puletasi's I've seen come down to your ankles.

Out of the course of 35, 33 students passed and there were only 4 guys but they all did very well and will make good librarians. Laki made a speech on behalf of the students and I was very grateful for him speaking a few words to me in English so that I could understand what he was saying.

The ceremony went very well. The students had prepared some songs so the speeches were broken up with singing. I was very proud to see all the students graduate and I hope they now go on to be good librarians in the schools where much organisation and cleaning of the libraries needs to happen.

I have uploaded some photos for you of Adam and I in our Samoan outfits etc.

No comments: