Wednesday, November 16, 2011

G'Day Samoa Fun Run

This Saturday morning I managed to drag Angela out of bed to take part in the G’day Samoa Fun Run. As you might have guessed from the name, the event has been organised by the Australian High Commission.

Despite the heavy rain on Friday night there was a big turnout for the event. The local paper reported a crowd of 800, but I am not sure how reliable that number is. Anyway, there were heaps of kids doing the 3km route and plenty of familiar faces from netball and work tackling the 5km run.

They organised the event really well, there was crew taking us through a Zumba warmup before the run started. I think some people were there more for the Zumba than the run. I decided to save my energy for the run rather than embarrassing myself trying to Zumba. After the run there was a bit of food and some prizes handed out.

This is part of a healthy lifestyles programme and will be held every month until July 2012. They have promised an even bigger and better event next month, with the contestants from the Miss South Pacific Pageant attending.

2 comments:

Austin and Shaun said...

Sounds fun. I went for my normal run yesterday through the grounds of Berkeley University - took a bit longer than normal though as I'd forgotten that there was an "Occupy Berkeley" protest going on and to top it off 10 mins before I ran past the Hass Building a student had pulled a gun out in class and was shot by the Campus Police - got to love the States for their 2nd Amendment "Right to Bear Arms"

Adam and Angela said...

I am glad all we have to worry about is the dogs and the state of the roads. We haven't had to deal with protests or shootings while out for a run!