Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pumpkin

I don't really know anything about growing pumpkin however poked 2 seeds into the garden and low and behold I now have large pumpkin "vines" growing and seeming to be fine. Thing was after many inspections I could not see any pumpkin actually developing which I thought was strange? I hoped not another plant that liked to grow profusely while bearing no fruit which seems to be the way with many things in this tropical climate. Anyway figured maybe pollination was the problem so the other weekend I got out my smallest paint brush and went out to be a buzzy bee. I happily buzzed between flowers but to no avail ......

The next weekend however I noticed a new flower coming with a ball beneath it. Ah ha I thought maybe there are female and male flowers on a pumpkin plant? So what happened to my pollinating of the week before?!! My pumpkins may be the first ever gay pumpkins in the world!!

Pumpkins are now growing. Not many though. Heaps of male flowers and not many female ones. Oh well we might get to eat a pumpkin or 2 yet we will see. I've also got some ears of corn coming so the gardening experimenting is not over yet. These are fair dinkum straight up corn by the way!! As usual I'll keep you posted on progress.

No comments: